Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Ask me One more Time!!

Soooooo we got Garrett these "I Survived" Books for Christmas...ever heard of them??  He came home from school talking about these books months ago and began asking me questions about Pearl Harbor!  What?!?! I have no idea how to answer these questions!!


Garrett  with his Collector's
Toolbox

So I began looking into these books and apparently they are historical fiction books for kids that are about boys that survived major events in history.   SUPER!  Since he was constantly talking about these books the Hubs and I decided to get him an "I Survived Collector's Toolbox."  It contained 10 books ranging in events from The San Francisco Earthquake in 1906 to the most current The 2011 Japanese Tsunami.  Let me tell you....I am learning more about these events than I ever thought.  At first Jason and I were unsure if we really wanted him learning about some of the tragedies that were happening in these books, but the more we looked at them we realized that they WERE history and did we really want to discourage him from reading books that were written for his age about these events??

OK.....I might have been sorry I asked!!  So this morning, Garrett is getting ready to get in the shower and he starts peppering me with questions about the Titanic!  Now I, like most of you have watched "Titanic" with Kate Winslet and Leonardo Dicaprio  (Okay, I might have watched it multiple times) but I'm not a history professor here: I don't know much about the Titanic!  I tried to answer his questions as best as I could, but I was floundering big time!  I told him that it hit an iceberg and that it sank!  Wow...score one for me...come on even he knew that much.  The ship was going too fast, it couldn't slow down...blah blah blah.  Whew....I dodged that bullet.

Of course though, when he came home from school, he had to read for 15 minutes.  Guess which book he continued reading??!!??  Here came the questions....I think I lost count how many times I told him to EAT at dinner because he kept asking questions.  For the Love.....seriously....what have we gotten ourselves into???  I even went as far as pulling up Youtube so he could watch videos about how the Titanic sank!  He was asking MORE questions the entire time we watched the 500 5 videos...just shut it and watch!! I really wish there was a movie about it that he could watch to learn more about it....but I am NOT going there....Jack might have been drawing Rose as "art";  he's only 8 for crying out loud.  So.....all that to say, if you know of any movies or videos appropriate for an 8 year old that would let him shut up about it learn more about the Titanic send them my way .

Looking forward to what questions I'm asked tomorrow about this book...or the other 8!! -8 he hasn't completed. I'm finished school a long time ago...why should I have to still learn about history?!?  Just kidding....I'm glad he is loving these books, but maybe next time I'll just stick to "Diary of a Wimpy Kid!"



Reading his book Today!
 

1 comment: