Sunday, January 18, 2015

Gettin my crafty on!

I decided that I need to be more crafty!  I love doing crafts, don't get me wrong, but I barely ever take the time to actually sit down and do them.  I've had stuff to make some things for Reagan's room for years....YEARS!! That's pretty pathetic...by the time I actually get around to finishing them it will be time to change her décor.  I have all these cute bedroom ideas pinned on Pinterest for her, but that's all the further I got. I mean For Pete's sake....how many kids' bedrooms really look like the ones on Pinterest??  I know my kids' rooms look more like a bio-hazard area or like a bomb went off than the picture perfect magazine room!  But I still want it to look nice even if it is for my own satisfaction.  So that being said, I made a wreath for Reagan's wall using burlap and fabric flowers.  I was really happy how it turned out and it was easy to make....once I actually sat down to do it. 


I had bought the things MONTHS ago to make this wreath and all in all it cost me less that $7 to make.  I bought a Styrofoam wreath form at Joanne's fabrics as well as 3 fat quarters of fabric.  If you don't know what fat quarters are they are about 1/4 yard of fabric that they sell for pretty cheap.  These are perfect for making fabric flowers and they were marked 50% off.....SCORE!!!!  I bought 3 coordinating colors and patterns of fabric.  I also needed burlap which I was able to buy at the Flower and Home Marketplace. I had to buy a yard and when I asked the guy if I could buy just a half yard (because I figured that was all that was needed) he said that since there was some writing/markings on the burlap he would give it to me half price since it was somewhat damaged!  So I got it for the price of 1/2 a yard which was like $1.99.  Now I was really happy...AND depending on what I use the leftover burlap for, it will add a touch of character to it!  I could have danced a happy jig right there in the aisle.  I hope I didn't sound too excited when I told him that I would take it. 

3 Fat Quarters


*Side note this is also the day I found the white sticks to stick in my flower pots outside for $1 a piece.  It was a great day!!*

Okay...back on topic....so I took the burlap and cut it into strips.  I did about an inch wide, but honestly I just cut and didn't measure at all.  Then I took my hot glue gun and glued one end of the burlap to the Styrofoam form.  I then started just wrapping the burlap around it.  I covered the white of the form, but there's no need to use more glue until the end of each strip because I wrapped it tight enough.  When I finished the strip I glued it on and then started with another piece until I had covered all around the wreath.  Simple, right?!?!?!  Then I took the fabric and cut that into strips.  Actually I cut a tiny slit in the fabric and then ripped it off....this frayed the fabric, but it adds to the look of the flowers.  For this I made the strips about 1/2 inch thick...here again no need to measure just cut!!  Okay....you still following??!?!?

Strips of burlap














Now comes the harder part....not hard, just harder that wrapping the burlap!  Tie a knot into the one end of the fabric and twist the fabric around to start making the flower.  Dab hot glue every so often to hold the flower in place.  This is something I found that comes easier the more you make.  And honestly they pretty much all look a little different and that's okay....there really is no right or wrong way to do this. If you want to make a bigger flower just add more fabric where the flower ends, until you get the size you want.  I made 10 flowers of different sizes. 3 of the green, 3 of the reddish/pink one and 4 of the pink.  Then I just glued them on the burlap where I wanted them.  You could use more or less flowers depending on what you want the wreath to look like.  That's what is so great about these wreaths...they can all look different depending on how you organize the flowers and how many you use.  I could have stopped at 3 and it still would have looked great!


Voila! That's it......there ya have it....now you're finished.....that wasn't so bad was it??  You can use any color burlap or ribbon to do this and any kind of fabric flowers....the possibilities are endless!!  Now make one, hang it up, stand back and enjoy your craftiness!!





No comments:

Post a Comment